Thursday, November 8, 2012

No Wild Humans Allowed

I've often wondered what it would be like to be a wild human. I've tried to imagine what wild human societies would be like. It's seems unlikely that I'll ever know for sure. There are still a few wild human groups, of course, deep in the Amazon jungle, or in inhospitable places like the polar regions, deserts or high mountains of the world. But, their inaccessibility is the only thing preventing their domestication or extinction, so I'll never get to go there. I'm probably not hardy enough to live in those places anyway.

It's so sad, don't you think? I think it's even sadder that so few people seem to mind. I mean, who would support laws requiring the domestication of all bears or all elephants? We wouldn't let it happen to them, but we don't bat an eye when it's done to us. It's not necessary, certainly not in Canada. This is the second largest country in the world, and we have half the population of the UK! There's lots of room for wild humans here. You'd think a group of us, who'd prefer to be wild, could just leave the farm, and go make a new home for ourselves. We wouldn't have to interfere with the existing, domesticated human stock. I fantasize about doing that. I would do it, if I could. Unfortunately, the government of Canada claims that Queen Elisabeth II owns all the unoccupied land, which they manage on her behalf, and they claim to own me also. Even so, they could tolerate the existence of wild humans, if they wanted to. They won't though. If you tried to live in the wilderness, and were discovered, you would be evicted for trespassing.

A couple of local guys, Mike and Mike, tried it. They built a little cabin, just above the beach, near Palmerston Recreational Area. Here's a photo:
Its location is very remote, and hard to access. From Port Hardy, it's more than an hour's drive over rough logging roads to get to Palmerston, then at least another half hour hike over slippery, jagged rocks. (There's a trail now, but they had to make it themselves.) Even now, you'd never find it, unless you knew it was there. Before long though, the Coast Guard spotted it from the water. They threatened to burn it down unless it became a public shelter; no permanent or private residence allowed. Mike and Mike hadn't even tried to make a garden, but if they had, it would have been destroyed.

Bears, cougars, and squirrels are permitted to make homes for themselves, and freely hunt or forage for food, in the wild. But not us humans. I have never had a home that was truly my own, and I probably never will. I'm forced to pay someone else for the privilege of shelter, if I can. And I have no right to remain in it. (Our last land-lord sold our home, and so we had to move.) It's in our nature, as humans, to desire permanent homes that we can feel secure in. It's cruel to deny any creature such a basic thing. I've felt the stress of it all my life. Most people wouldn't do that to a bear.

Apparently, it's too much to ask for just a little bit of land to be set aside for wild humans. It's too, too bad. I'd love to see, somewhere, a wild human preserve. I wish there could be some place on Earth for all those people like me, who can't thrive in captivity. I bet there are a lot of us. Then we wouldn't need to fight the system. We could just leave it to its fate. We could live in sovereignty and peace, and maybe make something really great! It would be wonderful if there was such a place. I hate being trapped in this dying, so-called civilisation, waiting for it to collapse and knowing we have nothing, as yet, to replace it with but chaos and pain. It makes me want to scream sometimes.

6 comments:

  1. We may not have a cave of our own, but we have an awareness of our captivity.

    To me our home is found in our hearts. My love for you is my home, and that will always be worth more than any bricks and mortar we may someday purchase.

    In Lak' ech, try as they might, they never tamed you darling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darling.
      I'm so glad to to have you with me, my cell-mate/soul-mate.
      XOXOX

      Delete
  2. Stick around just a little while longer, and I suspect we will have the opportunity to go wild once again! The control systems are breaking down.

    Best wishes to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian.
      I think you're right. It seems like it's taking forever, but they do say it's always darkest before the dawn.
      Blessed be, friend.

      Delete
  3. great post Amanda. you raise some very valid questions. It would be great to be a group living "wild" on the land.Or at least as long as the group shared many of the same "dreams" for all civilization.The best to you and yours as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ron.
      Thank you. It seems like, historically, and even now, most break-away societies tend to be even more oppressive than those they left behind. I certainly wouldn't want to be part of anything like that. I just can't see any good reason to interfere with other peoples life-style choices, except to protect the defenseless from being preyed upon. It seems so simple, and yet so hard for people to actually do. Still, I think it's possible if we could only break free of the control-system's programming.
      Best wishes to you and yours also.

      Delete